Wednesday 17 April 2013

17/04/2013 Drama Lesson: Physical Performance Technique

This lesson we focused on how we were going to physically portray our character e.g. posture and by the way we walk. The purpose of this was to dig deeper into our characters and understand what their true personality is.
We focused on one of our monologues throughout this lesson and the character I chose to work on was Oggy Moxon from Teechers.

The first exercise that we did was "Tension States", this involved us walking around the room in a neutral way but then slowly change into our characters and also change the mood that we were feeling to get a range of stance. Whilst doing this task we had to pay a lot of awareness to our body and what we were doing. in these stances. I felt this task was effective because it helped me understand how my character would react to different moods which I could also use in my monologue if tension were to rise within it.

The second exercise that we did was "Leading with a body part", in this task we imagined that we would have to walk with strings attached to our body that controlled different parts. Then different parts of our body were called out e.g. "Chin", I then placed my chin forward and walked in neutral with my chin forward, but I soon progressed into walking as Oggy would which made me turn into an arrogant person who looks down on his peers. The next body part was my shoulders, so I done the same routine first in neutral but then into my character, This time I felt that I had more of an aggressive personality and was walking around with purpose. The last body part was my knee's, using this stance it turned my character into a slob, I was very relaxed and laid back, this shows that I would just be throwing my weight around. I found this task also effective because it helped me see what I could be leading with for example my chin for that arrogant persona that Oggy has.

The third and final exercise that we went through was "Animal Characteristics", in this exercise we first acted out how we would walk with the idea of being an animal. For example we used a snake and a monkey. This both contrasted in styles because the snake would be very sneaky and gliding about where as the monkey is very excited and frantic all the time. After we did this we then thought about our character and which animal would best suit him. The animal I felt most related to Oggy was a Gorilla, this is because he is very dominant of others and tends to be with himself but is however cautious of the people around him in case of a challenge. I felt this exercise was the best out of all of the three we have done because it made me see clearly what type of person that Oggy is and how is a very powerful figure.

Overall I feel that these tasks were very beneficial for me to help me understand Oggy clearer and how I am going to physically present him. The way I have chose to present him is by having my chin up in an arrogant way and my body leaned back which pushed out the belly and knees for a relaxed, not caring look about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment