Wednesday 8 May 2013

Evaluation Of Audition

Before the audition, I decided to do numerous exercises to help me relax and warm my vocals, this ranged from breathing exercises, to humming and full body stretches. This helped me calm my nerves and let my body feel more free.

When I walked into the audition room, I was asked to tell the panel about my two monologues. I introduced by saying the names of both plays, the writer who wrote them and when it was set. After this I went into detail about the whole play context and my character fits into this. This was good to use because it showed my understanding of the play and that I have taken time to think about the play. This then nicely lead me on to discussing my characters and their background, I decided to place this bit of information just before I started my monologues because it helped me get into the mindset of that character.

I then proceeded to perform my monologues, the first monologue i performed was Oggy Moxon. Straight from the start I showed clear transition into the character by doing an exaggerated shoulder roll which links to that hard man style which Oggy has. As I performed this monologue, I used a variety of gestures that highlighted key moments and brought out the humour. For example when i was talking about dancing with Mrs Prime. I said that " My hand slipped down her back and felt that arse", to show this, I mimed I was actually dancing with her and grabbing her arse. This links to the persona of Oggy because he doesn't care about who's watching or what he's doing. I kept this hardman persona going throughout and ended the monologue with me miming a cigarette throw straight at the panel so it is given that forward address.

I then went out to start performing my second monologue, Mark, as I was about to start the piece, I took a moment and showed a clear change in costume but undoing all my buttons to get into that changing room environment which the scene is set. Throughout the monologue I kept referring to a specific spot on stage because in this piece I am talking to Barry, my best friend. As well as this, I would also refer to all the people that were around me because I am talking about certain people which are in the room with me. I felt this was effective because it made the scene realistic Nearer the end of the scene, my costume started to get more and more done up because it was linking with that changing room scenario, I finished the piece by saying "Never become a teacher", I didn't do this as Mark, because he is talking about what his dad say's to him so I thought it would be effective to link to that mockery side which a teenager has and mock his father.

After both monologues, I was asked by the panel why I felt these two monologues/characters contrasted. I felt that the characters both contrasted in their attitudes. Even though they are both teenagers, they have two different persona's. Oggy doesn't care about friends he just wants to be top dog of the school and not care, where as Mark wants that attention from people and loves being a joker amongst the group for example when in the changing room making jokes with Barry.

I feel that my performance was successful because I feel that my progression from the start of the assessment to the end was very effective i.e. development of my scenes. The main parts I liked about my monologues was the amount of gestures that I could include within the piece and how much I could bring the humour out more. I felt this was my biggest strength in my piece.
However some aspects of my piece I felt I could of done better on, for example nearer end of my Oggy piece I started to lose the amount of gestures that I was doing and therefore lost a bit of that hardman person of thrusting his weight around. This was similar to my Mark piece where because I was in a changing up, i was limited to the gestures I could do due the fact I was in a realistic scenario.

Overall I feel that my performance was a success due to the fact I showed a good progression from my first performance at the start of the assessment to my end at my audition. I also enjoyed the roles I performed and was fun to be placed in a different character to my own personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment